This condition is characterized by communication difficulties, social impairment and repetitive and stereotyped behavioral patterns. It is a spectrum condition because while all people affected with autism share some similar difficulties, the level of condition affects them in different ways. Symptoms of and treatments for ASD vary widely. ASD may sometimes go unrecognized especially in mildly affected children.
Indicators of Autism:
Symptoms of Autism are usually first noticed at around ages 2-3. Some associated development delays can appear even earlier, and often, it can be diagnosed as early as 18 months. Research shows that early intervention with ABA therapy can lead to very successful outcomes later in life.
- Lack of or delay in spoken language
- Repetitive use of language and/or motor mannerisms (e.g., hand-flapping, twirling objects)
- Little or no eye contact
- Lack of interest in peer relationships
- Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
- Persistent fixation on parts of objects